From causes to cures, here’s what you need to know about tackling dark circles!
Lot of us suffer from dark circles and eye bags, There are many ways on how people can develop dark circles under their eyes! I faced this issue after delivery , sleepless nights after pregnancy gave me huge eye bags and i started looking way older than my age.
What Causes Dark Circles?
There are many reasons beside lack of sleep & consumption of too much alcohol or smoking.
- Hereditary conditions: Dark circles can be passed on through genes, i have seen dark circles in kids, many of them out grow it but for few it remains the same.
- Lack of sleep: Skin under eyes is thin compared to other part of your face, lack of sleep tends to cause the blood vessels under the thin skin of the eyes to dilate, making it look dark. so don’t fall short on your zzz’s!
- Poor diet: Lack of nutrients can cause dark circles, Iron or B12 deficiency (Anemia)
- Dehydration: Its really important to keep your body hydrated. Not drinking enough water can cause dark circles and other health issues
- Hormonal changes: Hormonal changes in your body during pregnancy , mensuration , breast feeding can cause dark circles & eye bags.
- Caffeine intake: Consuming too much of carbonated and caffeinated drinks.
How to avoid dark circles ?
- Getting enough sleep, sleeping increases the blood circulation n your body.
- Proper nutrition, Eat fruits and vegetable rich in beta carotene eg: Green leafy vegetables, papaya & mango. Include iron-fortified ceareals, red meat, eggs & raisins in your diet.
- Drink atleast 2 L of water a day
- Cut down on caffeinated drinks
- Avoid smoking & alcohol
Using mint leaves to treat under eye skin is my favorite and is something i have done often after pregnancy.
Mint is antiseptic, antibacterial, antimicrobial and a natural astringent. The menthol in mint boosts circulation, rejuvenates skin. The vitamin c promotes the production of collagen which makes the skin firm.
How to use:
- Take some fresh mint leaves
- make a paste ( you can add water or rose water)
- apply it under your eyes
- leave it on for 10 minutes and wash it with water
- repeat daily
- Massage few drops of sweet almond oil around your eyes in a circular motion with your ring finger.
- Leave on overnight
- Rinse with cool water in the morning.
- Apply it regularly for results!
- If you have severe dark circles then you can add few drops of vitamin E oil also.
These are my two favorite home remedies to treat dark circles and puffy eyes. Curing dark circles naturally is a slow process and needs patience. I hope you will try the above remedies and do share your experience with me!